Thursday, November 21, 2013

November 21, 2013 Insane Wine Infused Ramblings


       I'm a writer, for whatever that's worth. Anyone can write, yet not everyone can be a great writer. I'm not going for great. Instead, I'll settle for entertaining. If I think back to the books that interested me when I was young, I wonder how those authors accomplished what they did. "They" say to write what you know, but that meant my favorite authors needed great knowledge. Years ago there was no internet to help if you needed quick reference. What did they do? Visit a library? 



                   Travel to far away lands, or check maps?



     Writing is research. I have it easy. All I need to do is put my Toshiba in my lap, tap a few keys and voila'! I have all the information I could possibly need at my fingertips. LOVELY!

... Ouch... OK, not that easy.

   My latest project is a LOOSE historical fiction surrounding Ancient Egyptians and pre-Colombian Mayans. So, I need geographical references to both places. How the hell could I do any of that without the internet? I have no idea, but I bet if I could ask Issac Asimov or Ray Bradbury, they'd be able to tell me.

I'm perfectly happy to live in this age of technology. I need the internet. It's the only way I can travel without going anywhere, or miss work. I invite you all to travel. Use google maps! What wonders you can see! Just don't look for my house.

No comments:

Post a Comment