Saturday, November 9, 2013

Saturday, November 9, 2013
    The weekend... I'm a homebody, so I spend a lot of time on the computer with the television running in the background. I watch it with only one eye. Even so, is it too much to ask to have anything of quality to view during the weekend evenings? What's that song lyric by Bruce Springsteen? "57 channels and nothin' on". Now there's at least 570 channels, and still I find it hard to find NEW content. I realize that the entire world goes out on the weekends, but not everyone has time off to sleep in. (I did go over that yesterday). I'm a big fan of reruns, but TV now a days, runs the same shows ALL weekend long! They play it Friday night, then on Saturday, and again on Sunday. You can't possibly miss it. Of course, if you're home at night, then you get to see it 3 times. OH JOY! 
     My week night viewing pleasures usually center around serial dramas; Bones, Castle, Revolution, Hawaii Five-0, and so forth. But I do tend to enjoy anything on Discovery, H2, Science Channel, History, BBC America, and National Geographic. I never miss Ancient Aliens on H2. (That might give you all a huge incite into my gray matter). I realize nothing I say will change the way cable, or network TV does business, so this rant is just for our benefit. So, I turn the guide to my movie channels and suffer the same dilemma. Oh, well... Perhaps I should get back to my manuscript and forget the whole channel surfing thing. Step away from that remote, Nik.



Friday, November 8, 2013 
     But, I digress... Tonight, I'd like to vent about working. Yes, that's right. Something almost ALL of us have to do, daily. We get up every morning, usually to an alarm clock, then hit the snooze button numerous times, before finally shuffling out of our warm beds. Then, we head for our routines. I'm sure they vary between us, but somewhere in there is shower, breakfast, maybe children, or pets to care for, and get out of the house. Eventually you find yourself off to work. 
     Does that word mean the same thing to everyone? I know it's been said if you do what you love, you'll never work a day in your life. R-E-A-L-L-Y? No matter what I do, (except write, I've found) the daily grind becomes a chore. Although, if I were paid to write, I might just give it up, as well. Not a fan of being told what and when to produce. Can you say performance issues? Sure you can. Don't get me wrong, I understand that working plays an important part in our lives, yet I resent it. I long for freedom! I long to hold my own daily destiny. I've been told I'd eventually get bored if I didn't live in the real world. I'm not so sure. My mind doesn't work the same way as other people.
​     Unfortunately, I am a product of our global dynamic consumerist society, so I must work to pay for all the things the PTB (powers that be), dictate to us that we all need. I don't NEED a lot, yet it seems I WANT a lot, just like the rest of the world. Tomorrow morning, when your alarm goes off and you're having a rough time getting out of bed, remember I'll be in that same boat. We all struggle to get up and out, and do what we do. Whatever it is. We're all in this together! So, there's your Daily Dose! Take 2 and call me in the morning. (Just not before my coffee).

No comments:

Post a Comment